Subject: RE: [Leica] corporate strategy and info
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 18:43:22 +0200

On lundi 3 mai 1999 10:22, imxputs [SMTP:imxputs@knoware.nl] wrote:
> ...snip....
> I am not aware that the choice of  any consumer product on which the user
will
> rely for many years to come needs to be made with a sound info about the
> future strategy of this comapany.
> ......snip........

Erwin,

I disagree on this. In the IT and telecom world for example, public
strategic roadmaps published by suppliers are very common and used by
buyers to plan their investments. These roadmaps can sometimes be very
precise and highly scheduled: the Intel processor roadmap for example is a
key to many corporate buying decisions. Apple does give calendars and ideas
as to what the company's plans are regarding the future of its operating
system, its processors and its peripheral interfaces as well as its
application developement frameworks. The producers of network devices are
very explicit regarding future plans for high bandwidth multimedia data
delivery, etc, etc. These roadmaps sometimes fail to become reality,
because the market is not always that predictable, but they often give
clear hints regarding things to come. They leave plenty of room for
surprise announcements and sufficient control on the details of products:
knowing that Apple is fully committed to Firewire does not mean I should
know what color scheme will be used for the next Gn generation or know how
it will be called or be informed as to what differenciating added value it
will be packaged with....

Transposed to the Leica field of activity, such roadmaps might, for
example, include a clear public commitment to support digital media in
hardware that will be compatible with what is produced today. Nikon and
Canon communicate a lot of very early pre-launch hints and facts in that
respect, and both already have a vast offer of available products proving
that commitment. In other words: will Leica introduce pro-level digital
technology other than studio interfaces (S1) and will the current M and/or
R lines of lenses be compatible with that technology ? Does Leica commit
itself to guarantee a large compatibility between the current R mount,
equipped with ROM or not, and an eventual future AF system ?

Because buying Leica entails comparatively much higher levels of investment
than buying from competing suppliers and because we are on the verge of
radical technology shifts in the photographic world, answers to those two
questions ought to seem crucial for any prospective buyer.

Embarassed answers, silence or contradictory signals must be harmful for
sales today: why did the Digilux only live for 6 months ? Why is it not
replaced by the new 2 megapixel Fuji ? Why was it announced as the proof of
Leica's commitment to modern technology and what does today's silence mean
? These are questions that are legitimate to ask on the LUG, and it would
only be normal to get authorized answers ! That would cut the
auto-proclaimed cognoscenti's noise to nothing, I'm sure, and probably dry
up most sources of unfounded FUD.

> ....snip....
> The Lug while no doubt of some importance is not
> that  big or influential to get special treatment.
> We as the Lug should be a bit more modest about our influence and
stature. My
> message was quite simple. The Lug is a consumer forum, not a market
research
> item nor an advisory group for the Leica management.
> Let us continue in the good tradition of the Lug: helpful information
about
> the use of Leica equipment....

I argue on the contrary  that the LUG, the LUG archives and the information
spilling over from the LUG onto various newsgroups, forums and web sites,
are probably the most important current sources of information for
newcomers to the Leica world. I therefore believe that Leica is
underestimating them and that it is not answering in an appropriate way to
the damage that is currently done to its image by the mass of seemingly
justified complaints that are relayed here.

I'm sure you are right about the R8 maturity and reliability, as well as
for the level of quality of the current M6 and lens productions, but I
certainly wish that some direct interventions from Leica representatives
would replace questions and fears into perspective. What is the current
return rate for new Leica products ? Does Leica officially state that there
has been no change in trend regarding such returns during the last 15 years
? Many companies communicate at length regarding their production
processes, their QC results and their helpdesk interventions.

I bought an M6, BEFORE subscribing to the LUG, because I've been exposed to
decades of Leica desirability trivia coming from all over my photographic
culture. Had I done the opposite, and inquired on the Net before buying, I
most probably would have NOT bought into a system that entails so many
out-of-the-box horror stories. I would have been convinced by the idea that
Leica HAD BEEN a great system, and that is was now in a dead end, producing
lower quality old fashioned goods at crazy prices. Must I add that I had a
zero defect personal experience with the M6, its lenses and its
accessories, and that this system brings me great satisfactions ?

I bought a R8 and 100mm macro last December, 3 weeks before a steady stream
of complaints poured into the LUG. Had I postponed my buying decision till
january, I would not have bought the system at all. Even if I am totally
satisfied by it and if it has also been a zero defect experience, I must
confess I hesitate today in investing any more money into it. Mainly
because there is not enough direct information coming from Solms regarding
the future of the R system (asph lenses, AF, digital back, etc). I'm quite
confident that I am not alone with this behaviour.

I'm  sure a majority of potential R8 buyers use the Net for basic
introductory information and do not feel reassured by the few mystical
posts from hard core fans they may find in their quest, compared to the
wide variety of credible negative opinions that are expressed here, in the
archives and in the newsgroups. We need more input than that, and much more
corporate communication than what is offered on the currently stale and sad
Leica web site....

Alan