Subject: Re: [Leica] AF, a FAD?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 12:27:58 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 10:36 AM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Let's just say your at a ball game (football, baseball, etc.) The runner is
> >off and headed in your direction at about 40 mph, with AF focus tracking I
>
> All I need is one picture of a guy running 40 mph and I'll make lots of
> money! :-)
>
> If you can find a 100-400 2.8 zoom AF lens out there, I'll grant you that
> baseball can be done well with AF.
>
> And I can't help wonder how great photos were taken in sporting events by
> zone focusing with a telephoto lens.
>
> I can tell you. 0
>
> That's ZERO.
>
> Have you ever heard of follow focus? Good sports shooters follow athletes
> with their eyes. (And in fact, the best focus on the athlete's eyes). And
> in fact, I can tell you that even at sporting events, when the subject is
> in a crowd, AF can screw up as many pictures as it can save.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Perspective is in the eye of the beholder.

I assumed he meant the BALL going 40 not the runner, just a typo!
And who says you have to use some monster lens? Haven't great baseball
shots been done with more reasonable optics? Are these guys afraid of
getting hit by a foul ball? What ever happened to getting in there with
the action? I can visualize clearly a photographer with every empire.
Did they used to let photographers in closer? This whole thing sounds
like Astronomical high speed pocket pool.
Mark Rabiner
Don't confuse me with reality