Subject: Re: [Leica] AF, a FAD?
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:39:42 -0500

>Are you shooting wide open?
>If you can't get both the first baseman and the Catcher both in focus
>what can you get? Half the distance? The issue being what is your depth
>of field and how big a chunk of it do we need for the real world of
>baseball? We don't need to be follow focusing a thin slice of the pie.

Mark,

Most news types prefer to shoot wide open, makes the shot cleaner and the
background is just an out of focus blur.  And shooting baseball I
generally use a 600 or 400 minimum cause at pro stadiums you just aint
that close to  the action and I like to shoot tight.  With that much
glass your depth of field aint all that good.

Plus if you have both the first baseman and catcher in the shot you are
WAY to loose photgraphically speacking...I like those photos at 1st where
you get the face of the guy slidding back into base with the glove of the
player reaching to tag him on a pitch out...nice imager and requires a
600 at least.  Ah heck what do I know I have not shot baseball since the
1993 NLCS....

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net