Subject: [Leica] Re: RE: AF, a FAD?
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 14:29:24 -0700

Greg Locke wrote:
>Peter,  explain to us all why you need AF and how it allows you to
>make better photos then someone who uses a manual focus camera.

Gentlemen:

I, for one, always felt I could live without AF.  And photos from my R5
come out (usually) just fine.

To get my sweetie started with a "real" camera I recently purchased her a
Pentax SLR w/AF. She consistently turns out photos that are tack sharp. And
she does so easily  with fast moving babies, where my wrist is no longer
quite fast enough, and in low light, where my old eyes have trouble
focusing - particularly with f3.5 lenses!

I've got to admit, if an R9 (R8.2?) ever appears with AF, I'll see my
banker and then my dealer (in that order, I believe!) in a shot!  For what
was an unnecessary luxury at 20 is becoming highly desirable at 52!

This may not be the only rationale for AF, but I believe it to be a valid one.

Cheers!

David Young,     | A man who gives in when wrong, is wise.
Victoria, CANADA | A man who gives in when right, is married.