Subject: [Leica] RE: Opinions on the 40mm summicron-C
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:20:45 -0700

>I know it is a tired topic for many of you, but I'd like to hear other
>user's opinions on this lens.  I am having some difficulty making up my mind
>as to whether I like this lens or not.  I've been using my CL for some time
>now and I've never gotten an image from it that could compare with some of
>my best Leica R 35mm summicron images.  I suppose I would like to hear
>support for the 40mm summicron-C, and that the problem lies somewhere else.
>Otherwise I might enter the market for a used 35mm summicron.
>
>I'd appreciate some help,
>
>James Burris

James:

My understanding is that Leitz *did* make the 90/4 Elmar-C for the CL/CLE
which was also marketed as an "M-Rokkor", but this was the only Leitz-built
lens to be sold under another brand.  The 40/2 Rokkor *may* be a copy of
the Summicron-C but it is not identical - nor Leitz produced.

I had a CL w/Summicron-C some years ago, and it was superbly sharp.  But,
in case I'm wrong, try to borrow one and "try before you buy".

Good luck!

David Young,     | A man who gives in when wrong, is wise.
Victoria, CANADA | A man who gives in when right, is married.