Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V8 #62
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 19:13:21 -0500

At 01:10 PM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Show me how photography and photojournalism have improved with
>this explosion of new gadgetry and I'll change my mind.

Dave, you are mostly right. Sports has improved, some. Photographers are
getting more action shots they missed before because of mis-focus. And some
fast moving situation where the composition is secondary to the moment.
Such as an assassination attempt. Wait, Sebastiao Salgado shot the Regan
assassination attempt in '81 with Leicas. No AF there! Oh well...

There are times when it does serve a purpose. But I think you are right.
Digital is only going to lower the quality of photojournalism for the near
future. It limits what one can do without lights, which means more static
moments that are "perfectly lit" but perfectly dull portraits. We have
enough portraits already! How can one photograph kids in class with lights
bouncing off the ceiling? You can't. But it sure looks good, technically.

Night football on poorly-lit high school football fields benefits form
Nikon's AF and flash system. But even my R8 does a pretty good job. But
focusing in that light is a challenge.

The technology can serve well in some specialized situations, as long as
the photographer knows what's what. Otherwise, it can fool them into lazy
type pictures where the composition or lighting is compromised by the
limitations of the system.

We have to face it. Photography of any sort is not easy - when excellence
is the number one pursuit. On the cutting edge, it's really tough, and
takes lots of practice, concentration and skill.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Your E-Mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage