Subject: [Leica] Re: It's the lens, stupid.
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 99 13:01:08 +1000

Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net> wrote:

>But some people love to spin a negative impression of the
>R8, because they don't want people to use them, and say they like them,
>because somehow that must mean the complainer doesn't get it. It's the
>glass! (To repeat myself).

Although I am one of the "R8-is-no-good" crowd, I have to
agree with Eric here:

It Is The Glass.

In the area I work (Virtual Reality imaging), in the last few
months I have started getting email from other VRsters wondering
why the sun or strong light sources in my VR images don't flare
all over the place as they do in theirs.

I tell them simply it is because I dumped my Nikon wide-angle
gear and started using Leica glass! (the R 16mm Fisheye Elmarit in
particular).

Hell, one VR panoramic camera manufacturer <www.panoscan.com>
has even added support for Leica lenses because of the results
they have seen the Leitz R 16mm can give.  (The LUG disease is
spreading...)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

VR MEDIA  SOUND  PHOTO  JAVA