Subject: [Leica] {Leica} Rumor mill working overtime!
From: imxputs <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 5 May 99 12:19:10 +0200

Alan wrote partly:
>Simply borrowing the Minolta 9, as it is, as basis of a R9 project, would
>be suicidal.

I feel inclined to support Alan here. And I second his assumptions that the
rumor mill is working overtime, without any substance. The origin of the
"Minolta 9 will become the new R9" can be easily traced to an article in the
British Journal of Photography, when Geoffrey Crawley, their chief testing
officer, reviewed the Minolta 9, raved about it and suggested, probably tongue
in cheek that this Minolta 9 might be the camera Leica should have been
designed and built.
Probably this snippet of thinking went over the Atlantic Ocean and became a
"wishfull fact" in the mind of a Leica dealer somewhere in the USA and now is
an "established fact"  on the Lug. Well the whole R9 story up to now is a
fiction. I might refer here to a recent interview in a German newspaper, where
Mr Cohn expresses his doubts and second thoughts about the AF issue in the
context of Leica products.

Erwin