Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux & 75/1.4
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:21:30 EDT

dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it writes:

<< Here comes the problem. I was thinking about getting the Summilux
 75/1.4, but I'm afraid it overlaps with my Noctilux. Unfortunately
 Erwin hasn't made a thorough review of the Summilux yet (I loved the
 recent one about the Nocti!).

 Anybody can please give me a few hints about the Summilux? Is it
 specialized in low light situations or can it be used in any light? >>

Bongiorno, Daniele.  Erwin has in fact made a thorough review of the 75
Summilux, although for some reason it's not on his website. Strange, because
it's one of his favorite lenses.  E-mail him and I'm sure he'll send it to
you; if not, let me know your fax# and I'll fax it to you.  Unfortunately I
don't have a flatbed scanner so I can't e-mail it.
I own this lens.  It is fantastic, optically.  Physically, it's huge (as M
lenses go), and makes the M6 feel more like and SLR.  It also very slightly
obscures the framelines in the viewfinder (much more so on an .85) but not as
much as the Noct.  The 75 is a more all-round lens than the Noct...better
performance at the smaller apertures.  I use the M system for travel
photography 99%, so I own only the 50 Summicron and 90 Elmarit because of
their small size.  For those occasions where I want to make use of the M's
quietness for low-light candids, I find the 75 'Lux is the perfect lens for
me...replaces the need for either a fast 50 or a fast 90.