Subject: [Leica] Leica and autofocus
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:41:06 -0500

I inherited a Nikon 2020 autofocus camera fitted with a 35-70 f3.5  Nikor
zoom lens, and a dedicated SB 24 flash unit.  Before that, I used
Leicaflexes, an RE and a R6 camera.  I had never used an autofocus camera,
but took to it like a duck to water for one application.  That application
is photographing the birthday antics of my children and grandchildren.  Turn
on the autofocus, program mode and the auto everything flash, and presto,
excellent pictures that are in focus!  Kids move, especially forward and
backward, but they are centered in the picture - a perfect application for
autofocus.  For everything else I do, I prefer manual focus.  I do primarily
landscapes, aerial, architecture, nature, close-ups, copy and artifact
photography.  For most of these types of photography, autofocus is not
helpful., and can, in fact, get in the way.