Subject: Re: [Leica] Herr Cohn, new Leica CEO. was A way of photographing and autofocus.
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 01:36:45 EDT

Herr Cohn's last job was as CEO of a German furniture manufacturer.  He was
with this company for 14 years.  Before that, he was with several high tech
firms.  Apparently, he did quite well with the furniture company, helping it
achieve world wide success.  He is definitely not a bean counter.
His mission is to make Leica a profitable company again.
He is shaking up things quite a bit at Leica.  A number of people will be
laid off.  Several board members have been sacked.  According to reports here
on the LUG by Bill Erfurth, the price of Leica's stock has doubled.
Stockholders should be happy!
At the last PMA, I had the opportunity to meet him and discuss Leica's new
direction with him briefly.  He gave me the impression that he is sincere and
a fast learner.  He did not indicate to me how he plans to make the company
successful and ensure its survival.  At that time (mid-February) he was very
much in a learning mode about Leica as a camera and company.  It is my
understanding that he is stressing accountability and a certain impatience
with the old way of doing things.  I do hope he retains some of the "old
ways" of Leica and Leitz, because the old ways weren't all wrong!  I do feel
he understands how important the traditional M camera is to the past and
future of the company.  I stressed to him my feelings that Leica cannot
become a "me too" camera manufacturer.  If they lose what is special about
Leica, that indefinable "Leicaness," then they are lost and will lose their
reason for being.
I wish him well and I hope he is on the right track.

Bill Rosauer