Subject: Re: [Leica] AF
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 16:14:22 -0700

allan jay silver wrote:

>          Mark Rabiner wrote:
> > >
> > > Take our a tape measure and lay out 4 feet. Now set your camera at 4
> > > feet with a 35 or 28 or 24 lens. Now walk around the house or studio
> > > and when you get 4 feet from things hit the shutter.
> > >

> > I leant this while in London: My feet move much faster than my focusing
> > ring! ;)
>
>         Do you people remember years ago when flash units were rated by Guide
> numbers?  There was no TTL metering.  snip If the GN was 48, for example, I would set the f-stop
> at f8 and set the distance on the camera lens to 6 feet.  Always making
> sure we were 6 ft. away when snapping the shutter.  In those days we had to
> be inventive.
>
> Allan
My favorite handheld strobe having gone at one time every kind of off
camera sensor and TTL route is an all manual Norman. The head itself is
quite lightweight. The battery pack is on my belt where I can almost
forget-about-it. I have 3 extra batteries so I can shoot a catalog on
location or an event. Certainly a model portfolio. Love my Minolta flash
spot meter for when things are a bit tricky. And a very small softbox
and a Pyrex dome are nice light modifiers. It's a blast!
Mark Rabiner