Subject: RE: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 08:27:00 -0700

The improvement over my current Elmarit 90 is marginal.  I am keeping both
because I still prefer the Elmarit for travel as it is smaller and uses E46
filters as do my other travel lenses - the Elmarit 28 and Summilux 35 ASPH.
Having a single filter size to deal with is very convenient and the flip
polarizer works with the E46 lenses.  The E55s are too large.

In examining my slides at 8x and projecting them, I noticed that the
Summicron 90 APO APSH is marginally better in terms of sharpness at the
edges of the frame than the Elmarit, but not by much.  Contrast in the
Summicron is also markedly higher.

Like I said...to me the difference is really minimal.  The Elmarit 90 is a
fine lens and I prefer the way it balances and handles on the M6 to the
heavier Summicron.  I seem to need the M grip with the Summicron whereas the
Elmarit feels perfect.  But wide open at close range, that new Summicron is
quite wonderful.

- --Jim