Subject: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M
From: Francois Asquin <francois.asquin@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 14:43:29 +0000

Mark Rabiner wrote:

I simply thought that Leica has gone all German. I am surprised and a
fact incredulous that a new lens would be made in Canada. I would have
to see it with my own eyes.

When I wrote that the new 90 mm was stamped "Manufactured in Canada" (
directly on the the lens, I confirm ), I was not able to think I will
start so much agressives reactions.

My surprise, like Mark Rabiner, was only that I  thought that Leica as
definitly stopped its fabrication in this factory. I asked to the Leica
France man Why.

It's answers was :

1) "You saw it ( the lens), I take it back immediately"( I think I saw
perhaps too much). We have still a few contracts ending with Canada. The
following 90 mm will be manufactured in Germany.

2) The two production sites remaining for Leica are Solms and Portugal.
For example, the more sophisticated lens treatments was now transferred
to Portugal.

3)  Leica need now to use extensively sub-contractors, always under
serious Leica specifications. The Leica filters, for example, come now
from B&W, Hoya and some others.

I must specify that I don't have absolutely nothing against Canada. I
falled in love with this nation ( in particular Quebec obviously )
during a long trip through it 2 years ago.