Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw-mount Leicas
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 12:29:41 +0000

>As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I fondled a Leica IIIf in Wetzlar and I
>am sold on the beauty of this sensuous piece of equipment. A couple of
>questions:
>
>1) How is the film loading? I remember reading something about the need
>to trim the film, using a special template. Is this still the case
>today, or was it just back in the 1930s? I realise that loading these
>cameras is not as easy as an M6, but is it significantly more difficult
>than loading an M3?

I also have a IIIf and it IS a beauty.
It takes a bit of practise but film loading is a bit fiddly at first. I got
it right the first time and almost everytime.  Cut the film according to
the picture shown and you will be about right.

>2) I want a 50mm lens, and preferably a collapsible one. How does the
>3.5 Elmar compare with the more modern lenses like the Summicron or
>Summilux?

The 50 elmar is a classic.  I do not know how it hardly flares in spite of
the almost flushed front element with the barrel.  Marc is right.  The
Summitar being faster is a nicer lens to use unless you specifically like
the pics obtainable with the elmar.  I have used both and like them both.
Don't forget that the price of a Summitar is actually cheaper than the
elmar and you are getting 2 more stops with the summitar.  The summar, I
have heard, is an older f2 design and tends to get soft at larger
apertures.  It is very difficult to find one with good glass condition as
the front element tends to scratch easily (softer glass used).

Dan K.