Subject: Re: [Leica] Sufficient or maximum image quality?
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 05:59:57 -0400

At 16:39 +1000 10/05/99, A.H.SCHMIDT wrote:
>Erwin Puts wrote:
> A BIT of chromatic aberration.
>Erwin
>   Why would you want to stand 35cm in front
>   of a projection screen and look at a corner?

	1/ That's the point Mr Puts makes: the best
	is best by COMPARISON. It is his very purpose,
	not just to the LUG but to LEICA as an in-field tester,
	to know where exactly are the best new lenses truly best
	and at what cost in other parameters,
	which, given the scientific method, he has to go at
	and he's doing it in a grand way, if I know anything
	about the whole situation and paradigm he proceeds from.

	It may have been the projector lens but I suspect
	Mr Puts has the Super Colorplan, though I'd like to
	know what he thinks of THAT end of the LEICA way
	to photography... and if, of the many projector lenses available,
	he feels one is a "value bonus" for the less well-to-do.
	Especially if the zoom ones are "good enough"
	for critical photo buffs
	as those who subscribe to the LUG.

	Mr Puts is a scientist: it simply would make no sense
	if he did not subscribe to the PROGRESS ideal,
	then, by inference, to COMPETITION,
	then EXCELLENCE as the best way to compete.

	2/ People tend to think in terms of diapo film, perhaps,
	but I tend to use color print film more and more.
	I sure hope we get Mr Puts' insights as to those,
	especially in the ISO 100 "crowd" where, it appears,
	film makers are really putting a lot of excellent technologies
	not usually available at other film speeds.
	With film / slide scanners and Internet, plus desktop
	publishing, the whole diapo / print film debate
	is all fresh news again.
	The day I'll see a really good print made from a slide
	I'll be quite surprised. I suppose it has to do with the
	inherent dynamic range of color print film.

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "I may have been born a reformer,
          I'll die a rebel."
		     DUNE VII