Subject: Re: [Leica] Help - Leica in Berlin?
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:59:58 +1000

There's a good shop in Kant strasse - I think it's near Savignyplatz
station, walking up Kant strasse towards Central Berlin and Zoo station.
Near our hotel - the Kant Hotel.

Apologies for extremely vague directions - LUGers must be getting used to
this from me now.

From what I could tell, a very decent and honest proprietor.  He took the
time to explain how to spot a fake Leica to me, demonstrating a fake he had
against the genuine item.

He very nearly sold me a Nikkor 85mm lens, 2.0. A converted lens from pre-AI
days.  He assured me it was brilliant.  The lens was beautifully smooth.  I
sighted it on my FE and so lost myself that I took a shot with it in the
shop, forgetting it was my camera with film it.

I didn't buy it, thinking $A600 and (given I was returning to Australia) no
effective warranty.  Better to get it at home.

When I developed the film, the single shot I took with the lens leapt off
the proof.  It was so much sharper than the surrounding shots (with good
lens, I should add), without a loupe.

Kicking myself ever since.

Gareth Jolly