Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 APO origin and other trivia
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:43:38 -0400

It happens that the focus ring of my 135/4 Elmar (the most recent version
with the builtin hood, just prior to the APO) also turns very stiffly.
Smooth, but stiff.

While were on the subject of this lens, The one I bought was essentially
new, but I paid half of what the new APO lens sells for.  For years I have
heard about how fine a lens the older Elmar was, that it was almost APO
quality without being labelled as such.  Now, the new, improved APO lens
hits the market, and all of a sudden its the greatest things since sliced
bread.  Does this mean the older lens is suddenly inferior?  Of course not.
 The shots I've taken with it are excellent, technically speaking.  If you
are one with lots of cash in your pockets and are only happy with the very
best, get the APO.  If you are like me and must budget your lens purchases,
the older lenses such as the 135/4 have great value.

Dan C.

[snip]