Subject: Re: [Leica] anti-Leica-ism?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 20:19:11 -0700

>Dear Bruce:
>
>I am replying to your post asking Erwin Puts to publish his credentials.
>Many of us have been accepting his comments without question.  However, when
>asked for hard numbers as opposed to subjective statements, I get nothing but
>gobbly-gook responses.  Hopefully, your questions will result in some light
>being shed on the basis of the reviews Mr. Puts publishes.
>
>Don R.

Dear Don:

Look in the archives. This has all been dealt with, at least to my
satisfaction (and I do tend to be fussy, at least with photographic
results, if not with box labelling).

Personally, Erwin's posts make more sense to me than just about any other
test results that I have read over the years, even if I do not always agree
with him, or consider some aspects of lens performance of greater
significance than he does.

>stand the test of scrutiny each and every time and in all instances.  If some
>who love Leica cameras and lenses wish to discuss their concerns as well as
>their admiration, this, in my view, should be encouraged rather than
>subjecting the various writers to personal attacks merely because they have a
>viewpoint that is not shared 100% by the five.

I think a number of us would be interested if you had any other interests
and interaction with Leicas beyond 'concerns'. Feel free to share them with
us, possibly with humour :-).

Regarding the '5' (hey, who elected _those_ 5, anyways?): They are
interesting, and interested Leica users. They, as well as the rest of us,
have all written some trash, but considering the volume that Eric has
written over the years (and I've known him from earlier Compuserve days)
some of it _had_ to be trash, statistically speaking. Ted has done things
that most of us will never do in five lifetimes, thankfully, bovinely
speaking, but we get great stories just for subscribing. Ted doesn't do
tests - Erwin does; what a balance! Marc grouches in the background, and
sets us straight whenever Father Zeiss' name is taken in vain. Jim hasn't
shot off as much as some of the others, and that's probably why I've never
had a real argument with him. In any case, here is a great amount of
information and entertainment. Nobody on this list is infallible, and (with
the possible exception of Eric) nobody has ever claimed as much, and even
Eric relented when he went back to actually read what his fingers had typed.

Enjoy it, and please restrain the terrier aspect of your no doubt
multi-faceted personality.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com