Subject: Re: [Leica] a little venting
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:31:41 -0700

Byran, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

> When I joined the LUG, there were a couple of things I took for granted.
> First, I figured that I was never going to be interested in every post on
> every topic.

> For example, we had far more criticisms of the pressure plate thread than
we
> ever did about defective pressure plates.

Right on! This whole thing started because a guy's film was getting
scratched in his Leica, he then posted  a question regarding his problem to
a users' group on the internet. Is this not a totally resonable thing to do?
I've personally done this a number of times re computer software and
problems with my minivan. A long thread precipitates and he's told in
condacending tones that rather than worying about pressure plates he should
go out and take photographs. BTW his problem was real, not imaged (Erwin
said so :) ).

> photography. Read what you're interested in, skip what you're not. If a
few
> people want to talk about the printing on lens boxes - why not? If you
post
> something that really doesn''t interest anyone - no one will respond.

Again, I agree 100%. I'm not a collector. I'm not a pro. I'm not much of an
artist. I don't know how to time shutter speeds with a laser pointer and an
oscilliscope. I'm not a witty eloquent writer.  But I'm interested in most
of these, and if I'm not I'm free to delete the messages I don't like. I
think diversity enriches the LUG. Please don't assume that because something
doesn't interest you it doesn't intrest some of the 700 other members. Even
the box collectors have their place. Are box collectors intrinsically worse
than collectors of postage stamps?

> No one should feel that they have to fear the wrath of others if they
don't
> tread the party line here. Everyone has some things Leica that they're
> interested in or they wouldn't be here and, I would assume, some things
> Leica that they're not interested in.

I would think so, some on the LUG obviously do not.