Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin Qualifications
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:37:27 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/99 7:02:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
guidosoprano@hotmail.com writes:

<< Your manipulation is very tiresome. Nobody said anything about owning a
fine
 stable. The question was, 'what ahve you got'

Please explain when you write "The question was, 'What ahve you got'

Once the question is explained, I will do my best to answer.

As far as lens quality is concerned, I prefer the BASS type report as opposed
to a subjective comment.  Further BASS explains the type of testing it does
and then reports the tests in numerical figures rather than a subjective
statement that anyone may make.

Numerical figures based on scientific testing procedures carry weight and are
something to be considered while subjective comments are nothing more than
someone's opinion.  I do enjoy reading the opinion of everyone regarding
quality, etc., of the Leica equipment since that is the only 35 mm equipment
that I have owned and used since 1957 save for on excursion in the Nikon camp
for a couple of months.  However, I do distinguish between subjective opinion
and scientific testing.

Please note that I have nothing against Mr. Puts and enjoy reading his
opinions.

Since Mr. Puts enjoys high regard among many Leica owners and users and his
comments may have some influence on persons contemplating the purchase of
Leica equipment, this writer was and is interested in his experience and
background so the weight of his comments may be properly evaluated.

Also, does Mr. Puts compare Leica lenses versus lenses manufactured by other
companies so the reader may determine from his opinions which lenses are best
or is it just assumed the Leica lenses are so good there is no need to run a
comparison?

As I read a few of the posts, I get the feeling some have constructed a Leica
"cult" that thrives on the rule that the quality of Leica equipment may not
be questioned.  Almost like a next of ants.  The moment a "foreigner" is
spotted, the entire group attacks the intruder with a lot of hot air and
efforts to sting him or her into submission with absolutely no information
being imparted.

Sorry to make you feel uncomfortable, but I prefer information to hot air and
will continue to ask questions when they occur.