Subject: [Leica] {leica] report 70-180 part 3
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 00:09:32 +0200

- --============_-1285402633==_ma============

part 3

In my practical shooting I used the Kodak E200, Ektachrome Select 200,
Kodachrome 200, Kodachrome 64, Ektachrome 100 Extra Color and Ektachrome
100VS. The two last films very recent and said to have the finest grain of
all existing transparancy films. This is not a film test (that is why Fuji
is not in: when the new Provia is available I will run a Fuji test). But
tyhe choice of films gave me the opportunity to look at the queation with
which film type the superb qualities if the VAE could be exploited.
First of all: this lens is difficult to hold handheld and to maximise its
potential a tripod is a must.
I shot hundreds of pictures at a range of shutterspeeds from 1/60 to
1/8000. Statistically it is not possible to get fine imagery below 1/250
(big chance factor is involved when shooting that slow). At 1/250 to 1/500
the chances of a good quality picture are higher but it is not  secure.
Above 1/1000 and certainly at speeds of 1/2000  and 1/4000 the true image
potential can be enjoyed. And then it is simply stunning. The 200 ISO films
are remarkably fine for its speed and certainly when compared to the K200.
Still the K200 pictures bring out more of the image potential of the VAE
than the E200 films. Why? The finer grain (or more precise: the very small
and closely packed clouds of dye) and the lower characteritic curve of the
E200 make it  difficult or impossible to see the very fine details. The
K200 on the other hand while preserving the edge contrast and the crispness
of the VAE imagery, has large grain, which reduces the richness of the
texture and color hues of fine detail.
The 100EC and 100VS  have a higher inherent contrast and are better suited
to preserve the VAE performance. The dye clouds are indeed very fine and
closely packed, but as with the 200 series this characteristic still
reduces the ability for a crsip rendering of fine details somewhat.
Again the K64 shows its reputation as the sharpest film west of the
Mississippi. This film, coupled with the  VAE produces unbeatable imagery
of the highest order. The color rendition of the K64 however lags behind
the 100 EC and VS. So Kodak knows what to do!!!
The excellent preservation of high light gradation and microcontrast  in
the white (that is overexposed) areas,  effectively enhance the subject
brightness range that can be recorded. The inherently higher contrast of
the 100EC etc can be exploited without washed out white or whitish areas.

The 100EC would be my general choice to sample the quality of the VAE. (The
VS is a bit too satured for my tastes, especially when shooting models).
The 100EC images at 30 times enlargement produce crisply rendered extremely
fine detail with that famous Leica clarity. The Apo correction of course
helps the clarity and textural gradation of very small color patches.
Still give K64 a try.

Erwin

Erwin </fontfamily>