Subject: [Leica] Zeiss 35-70 and Leica 35-70
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:32:11 +0200

 Isaac wrote in part:
>If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be...) the 35-70 f4 is of
>Leica design and built by Kyocera. I believe that the same lens is availible
>in the Contax lens line... Assuming for the moment that they are the same, I
>can tell you that it's one hell of a lens. It compares very favorably with
>the Zeiss primes in that range, and it can focus mighty close. This is one
>of the few zooms that I have been impressed with...

The Vario-Elmar-R 4/35-70 is indeed designed by Solms and built in Japan,
presumably at Kyocera. It is NOT the same lens as the Vario-Sonnar-T
3,4/35-70, which is designed by Oberkochen (about 100 km's south of Solms.
The Elmar has  8 elements and r=the Sonnar 10 elements in a totally
different configuration. MTF graphs of both lenses also show a very
different behaviour, with the Leica (sorry Marc -:) ) giving  a slightly
better imagery.
I can add that Isaac's comment on the Sonnar performance will be applicable
to the Elmar too. More of course to come.

Erwin