Subject: RE: [Leica] Ansel's Holga (was: Erwin Qualifications)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 11:45:10 +0200

Peter,

Your point is very good. Except in your choice of example: some
photographic masterpieces do require extremely high imaging qualities. What
I know of Ansel Adam's work is based on a mixture of very sophisticated
composition, exposure and printing techniques that truly benefit from the
very high resolution provided by his equipement (generally using film much
larger than 35mm wide).

OTOH, many other photographic masterpieces did not and do not require such
high imaging performances, and could have been made with very low end
equipment.

But, the fact that they are not usually made with such equipment, because
such equipment is not usually used by the creators of those masterpieces,
maybe has some signification as well, don't you think ?

There is nothing wrong with choosing the minimalist way, and there is
nothing preventing the talented Holga or Lomo user from creating great
images. But I do feel my own limited talent is safer with Leica ;-)...

Alan

On samedi 15 mai 1999 8:01, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)
[SMTP:peterk@lucent.com] wrote:
> David,
>
> That is your opinion.  Mine is that if I used a Holga and got a great
image,
> it would be better than a poor image, albeit sharp, captured with a more
> expensive camera.  In other words, if Ansel Adams were using a Holga, his
> photos would still be great!  If a Joe Shmoe were using a Leica, he would
> not be Alfred Eisenstadt. :-)
>
> Peter K

   He