Subject: RE: [Leica] Reassuring the public
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 19:19:31 -0600

I know it is certainly easier if you can say " I am a photographer for ????
magazine" or " I'm a freelance photographer, ???? mag/pub uses my
photographs" or even "I'm doing a photography project at the community
college".

Unfortunately, these days, just saying you are an amateur photographer in
such situations still leaves some people a bit unsure. Paradoxically, the
more official you look,  like a "real" photographer, the easier it is (photo
vest, big Domke bag, two or more cameras etc - yes, I know that isn't the
Leica ethos!). Though I am a freelancer, when people see my jumble of gear,
they generally just ask - hey is my picture going to be in the Yellowknifer
(local paper)!

Other than that, do you have any kids of your own? Try taking them along
with you a few times if you do. Will probably break the ice a bit, even if
it makes your own photographing more difficult!!

Tim A