Subject: [Leica] Aesthetically boring (was Erwin Qualifications)
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 10:43:30 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Hoyen ~simontart~ <simontart@hotmail.com>
>Heck, I'll do just that, this weekend.  I'm going to head
>over to the International Center of Photography and get me a Holga!

>Bottom line is, I've seen too many pictures that were technically perfect
>but aesthetically boring.  I've also seen a lot of pictures that were
>technically flawed but emotionally powerful

Lots of photos are boriing because they are exquisitely-composed and totally
conventional views which give us what we expect to see, but which reveal no
new truths. It's tough enough to seek these out and capture them on a little
piece of celluloid without complicating matters further by encumbering
yourself with a crummy camera. Besides, I've seen folks buy Leicas for $50,
and Dianas for $130, so be thrifty and stick with what you've got :-)

The next Leica-type lens I get will probably be the 15mm Heliar, but since
it has no real competition, I'm not sure that there's any point in my
reading test reports about it--that it delivers smile-inducing results is
test enough in this instance.

Jeff