Subject: RE: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:09:35 +0200

On lundi 17 mai 1999 12:05, Bernard [SMTP:5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru] wrote:
> Why? Digital products become outdated 6 (or less) months after they hit
> the shelves, so they should be discontinued continuously, to be replaced
> with the next piece of consumer-grade nonsense for the public to hype
> about... for a few months.

Bernard,
Agreed: the rate of introduction of 'next generation' technology is
extremely fast right now, and forces the suppliers to renew their ranges
every 6 months and/or reduce dramatically the prices of current items.

Fuji has now integrated a two megapixel CCD into a camera very similar to
the one  it had licensed to Leica in its 1 megapixel form.

So, why did Leica introduce the Digilux if it was to abandon the range as
soon as the newer technology appeared ? If that camera's lifecycle was
indeed very short, Fuji shows its dedication by offering upgraded products
as soon as technology allows it. The Digilux experience seems today
incoherent. Kind of an accidental one-shot experiment. And not maintaining
the range throws Leica back out of the eyes of the mainstream digital
market. I'm sure plenty of people who are ready to fork out 1,200+ USD for
a compact digital camera are ready to pay a reasonable premium for the red
dot and a Leica lens. The Digilux, if no milestone, was certainly not worse
a concept than most of Leica's compact film cameras.

The 4 megapixel CCDs are appearing, and they, at last, will offer a
challenge to glass: optics will soon be an issue on the digital market. It
would be nice to see Leica becoming an actor there.

> But if Leica were to supply a digital back for the R8, I hereby promise
> to buy one, regardless of the resolution; it would do great as a
> "polaroid" back.

Sure, and it will be used as much more than a Polaroid back, you'll see:
those digital backs for 35mm SLRs and the high end digital compact cameras
are becoming pervasive in quite a few professional assignements, where
speed and integration in the pre-press flow are higher requirements than
ultimate image quality. I see them all over the place (coverage of
demonstrations, various news events, press conferences, etc).

Alan