Subject: [Leica] Focotar value
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:20:53 -0500

Value is predicated on which Focotar you have.  The most recent, and most
valuable, is the Focotar-2.  The previous Focotar has the written
descriptors (i.e., name, focal length, and aperture) on the side of the
mount.  The earliest version has the descriptors on the front of the
aperture ring.  They all have different computations, and, therefor,
different performance.  'They are all excellent, and I can speak for the
earlier and the focotar-2 lenses.  The Focotar-2 is significantly better
than the earlier version.  I suspect that the middle version, which is a
Schneider design, is between the two.  The Focotars I have used and tested
better the competition in their lack of flare and color fringing, which
equates to better contrast.