Subject: [Leica] I'm baffled
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:36:07 -0700

I'm a little baffled. I've been on the LUG for two or three years. I've
read with much interest, all of Erwin's lens dissertations, on the LUG,
on his web site, and as magazine articles. I know the majority of you
LUGgers do the same. I do all of the necessary things to produce the
utmost in image quality. The best lens for the job, tripod when
necessary, etc... And much of the LUG discussions, over the years, has
been on the fact that Leica lenses are at a level, somewhat higher than
the competition. They perform better wide open than the competition. They
have a neutral color balance, smooth Bokeh, excellent fine detail
recording, etc...<br>
Then, some manufacturer (like Ricoh, Cosina, Voigtlander, Tokina...),
produces a lens that fits Leica cameras. Many LUGgers go GAGA! When will
they be available, where can I buy them, etc...<br>
WHY?????<br>
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why someone would want to
deliberately produce images of lesser quality, using a (new) brand-x
lens, when for the same money, they can buy a used Leica lens that will
out perform the brand-x lens in every way.<br>
Am I missing something here???<br>
This is an honest question. Not a blast or any other form of harassment.
Not flame bait. I would simply like to know. I personally, am not even
remotely interested in these new brand-x lenses. One of the main reason I
use Leica, is for the &quot;Leica&quot; lenses. I would like to know what
I am missing. What is the attraction? Etc...<br>
I do understand why one uses older &quot;Leica&quot; lenses, and even
very old SM non-Leica lenses. They were hand computed and possess unique
imaging qualities that get lost in modern computer aided designed lenses.
And there is a certain amount of nostalgia with these lenses. But the
Ricoh 28 ASPH is simply a mediocre lens, even when compared to older
Leica 28mm lenses. Who wants new mediocre?<br>
One of my prize lenses is the 75/1.4 Summilux. A hand computed lens with
&quot;OUTSTANDING&quot; imaging qualities. I just made a 16x20 Ciba of a
tulip, E200, 1/1000@f/2.8, shade, handheld. There are two other tulips
behind the primary tulip, both very out of focus, along with plant leaves
even farther back. All of the out of focus stuff is as smooth and serene
as silk. The tulip in focus, is razor sharp, and even though it's on
E200, shows no degradation at 16x20. Amazing.<br>
Would I want a 28mm Ricoh? Hell no! Or a 75mm Ricoh (if it existed)
Double hell no!!!<br>
JMHO, and looking for answers...<br>
Jim<br>
At 04:59 PM 5/18/99 +0200, Erwin wrote: <br>
Elmarit-M and R versions of the 28mm. <br>
The Ricoh (#02818) is a diminuative lens. The chrome version with the
focusing aid is very Leica like. Mechanically it showed a slight axial
play in the distance ring mechanism and a very slight decentring. <br>
At full aperture (2.8) the lens shows a medium to high contrast, with
some light fall off&nbsp; in the corners. In the center very fine detail
is recorded with medium microcontrast and slightly soft edges.&nbsp;
Extremely fine detail is just recorded with very soft outlines. This type
of performance holds on axis over a circle with a 4 mm radius (an area of
8 to 10mm diameter). In the field (the outer zones) fine detail is
recorded with high contrast. The edges however show colour finges and
there is also a trace of astigmatism. Fine and very fine detail is fuzzy,
but just visible.&nbsp; The corners are very soft with outlines of large
subject detail clearly visible. <br>
At f/4,0 the image crispens and the overall contrast becomes high. On
axis the edges of fine detail clearly sharpen,. In the field the
improvement is slight. At 5.6 the overall image is still a bit soft in
the field. At f/8.0&nbsp; we get an excellent image with extremely fine
detail clearly&nbsp; resolved, with a faint trace of softness. At f/16.o
the performance drops. <br>
The close-up performance ( 1 meter) is identical to the infinity setting.
The Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm (#3793205) at full aperture shows a high contrast
image with very fine detail crisply rendered. </blockquote><br>
...<br>
Erwin<br>