Subject: [Leica] Trip to Andalucia & b/w materials question
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:24:13 -0700

In a few weeks, we're heading to Andalucia for 2 1/2 weeks or so, and will
be staying near Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, and in Ronda.  This is to be a
serious shooting trip for me, and I'm planning to take an M6 with
28/35/50/90 lenses along with the M7 (Mamiya) ;-) for landscapes.  A couple
of questions for the list:

1) I'll be shooting black and white in the Leica and wonder if any of you
could suggest some particularly good spots for photographing people (i.e.,
good markets, events, etc.) in the region.

2) It's been awhile since I did alot of serious b/w work, so I'd appreciate
any comments you might have regarding the two materials I'm considering:
Scala 200x and Tmax 400 pulled 1 stop to ISO 200.  I've worked with Scala
and love the look and tonality, but printing it is very problematic unless
you're set up to do color reversal prints.  I read somewhere that Salgado
has been using the technique of pulling Tmax 400 a stop and that by doing
this, you can achieve a better tonal range, and increased exposure latitude.
Has anyone here experimented with this technique?

Thanks,
- --Jim Laurel