Subject: RE: [Leica] UV or not UV
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:44:38 -0700

This really depends on what kind of work you're doing at the time.  For me,
they are only a means of protecting a valuable piece of equipment.
Generally, when I'm shooting casually, and can take the time to use lens
caps, I'll go without a UV filter.

Last week, I shot a four-day assignment for MSNBC on river rafting in Idaho.
Believe me, with all the dust, mud, and water, I used the UV filters.  I
actually started without them on the first day, and quickly put a few dings
in the front elements of a couple of my Canon L lenses.  Often, I'd be
shooting from a low angle to get a whitewater shot, and have someone walk by
and have thier Tevas flip a glop of mud on my lens.  If you have a UV
filter, you can just dump a little water on it, and wipe it with your tshirt
if necesary.  If you have no protection, getting that mud off is a tedious
hassle.  And all the while, shots are being missed.

My wife worked press for many years and never believed in using UV filters.
Her old FD lenses from that time are completely trashed today.  I can't help
but believe that a trashed front element does more to adversely affect your
pictures than a good B+W UV filter.

On something like a wilderness rafting trip, you're jamming your gear in and
out of a pelican case, and toting lenses around in daypacks when hiking.
There are many, many times when you have simply lost track of a lens cap.
Usually, I'd find mine at the end of the day, in the pocket of a pair of
pants in the bottom of my dry bag.

In a few weeks, however, I'll be doing a nice leisurely tour in Spain.  I'll
leave the lens caps off for that as I'll have time to be more careful with
my equipment.

- --Jim Laurel