Subject: [Leica] Re: UV or not UV
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:38:38 -0700

I live on the CA coast. I've been taking photographs on and around the
ocean for 52 years. Along the CA coast, with an onshore breeze (every
afternoon) the waves crashing provide a fine salt water mist that makes you
hair sticky, your car ugly, but I have never ever had any sign of problems
with my photo equipment.

I went to Brooks Institute of Photography. In Santa Barbara CA, which is
right on the coast. As you can imagine, many many school assignments were
carried out on the beach, along the rocks, on boats, etc. The subject of
camera problems associated with boats/ocean never came up in school.

I personally believe, as Adams, Weston, and other CA coast photographers
believed, it is a non problem.

Obviously, if your gear gets a real heavy dose of ocean water (or any
water), or a sand storm, a dust storm, appropriate action needs to be taken.

No, I have never used UV filters. All of my lenses are still pristine. Some
are very old. And have been cleaned a lot.

Jim