Subject: Re: [Leica] another new kid
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:26:20 +0000

>Folks,
>Long to Leica, new to the list, and recently returned to photography after
>several years, I have a few questions if you have the time.
>1.  My standard film has been tri x at EI 250 in HC 110 dil b, I now need a
>b&w at EI 800-1000.  I suspect that Delta 3200 would be a good first choice
>but my copy of Anchell and Troop's Cookbook does not list it.  Any
>film/developer/time suggestions?

Stay with Tri-X if you like it, but develop in Kodak Xtol diluted 1+1. If
you develop for 13 mins at 68°/20° agitating first 30 secs and then 10 secs
every minute you can use an e.i. of 1000 - 1600 and you will get better
results than with Delta 3200 and at half the cost. Make sure you use enough
stock Xtol for you dilution, if you use less than 125 cc (i.e. a total of
250 cc diluted developer) you may need to lengthen the development time.

Delta 400 exposed at 800 and developed exactly as above is an alternative.
The enlargements from the two films are different, it then boils down to a
matter of taste. There are occasions when I prefer one to the other.

There is a new cookbok out, I think the title is The Film Development
Cookbook, by the same authors, but I'm travelling and I can not look up the
exact title. It mentions Delta 3200, and also deals with Xtol,  saying Xtol
does not push films but it gives a real one stop higher e.i. than most
other developers. To really find out, as always, shoot a roll yourself
setting the camera to different e.i.'s (and perhaps cut the film in two and
try out two different development times, say 12 and 14 minutes)

Rest snipped as I can not comment on these items

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58