Subject: Re: [Leica] About Bessa-L
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 00:56:44 +0800

Giorgio,

The Bessa-L is indeed a trimmed down Cosina SLR.  The skeleton of the
camera is derived from the ancient but reliable Cosina CS-1, minus prism
and mirror.  This is also the same camera as the current Nikon FM-10,
Olympus OM2002, as well as the long gone Canon T-60 and various
inexpensive Vivitar models.

The same metal vertical running shutter is used, but there is an extra
metal blind in front of the original shutter.  This blind has two
functions: to prevent light leak (since there is no reflex mirror), and
being painted in 18% grey (gray), it provides a suitable reflective
surface for the TTL sensor to meter.

There are three LEDs (red-green-red = under/correct/over) on the back of
the camera, between the rewind know and the finder shoe.  When using
either the 15mm or 25mm finder, I can still see the LEDs without taking
my eye off the finder.  In theory, the Nikon FE-10 body can be used
instead of the FM-10 to provide a aperture priority auto exposure
electronic Bessa-L, but there would not be enough room to provide a
range of shutter speed display associated with the AE metering.

Of course, I have a Tom A Softrelease fitted to my Bessa-L and this does
improve the release action significantly.

A rangefinder equipped model is due later this year.

Joseph