Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander Bessa-L thoughts
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 19:31:38 +0100

Having been sent one to play with for a few days I thought a few words here
would not go amiss.
The interesting point for me about the design of the camera is that it
appears to head in pretty much the opposite direction as the Leica. affording
a few small improvements but really chasing the most basic level of
serviceability concurrent with reliability, I presume.
For instance, the back is made of plastic, as are several other parts, eg the
shutter speed dial.
There is a shutter lock which is both simple and ingenious, a small tab on
the advance lever inserts into a slot in the release button binacle to
prevent depression, this occurs only when the lever is returned to rest, when
stood off the body the button is free to be pressed of course. I know a few
M6 owners could appreciate one of those!
And the shutter, whilst noisy compared to the M6 delights in providing a
1/2000th and also a 1/125th sync speed.
The lenses appear to be everything that others have said about them,
excellent value for money. The viewfinders also lose out to ultimate Leica
quality, there is barrel distortion in the viewing and the edge of the frame
is indistinct but again, it is very hard to criticise recognising the price.

Jem