Subject: [Leica] Re: Paul T. Collura & Ciba printing
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 14:29:38 -0700

Paul,

I don't have a scanner or I would post this on the web. The lab I use
(while remodeling my darkroom) is Calypso Imaging in Santa Clara. Actually
10 min. from my house. It is the North west coast premier Ciba and LightJet
lab. It is the lab that all of the famous folk use (see Galen Rowell's
(ugh) article in the current Outdoor Photographer.) They do a large "mail
order" business. I personally know the lab manager and the two people that
do the Ciba printing. I you are interested in sending them something, I
would oversee your first submission just to make sure it got the proper
attention. With about one out of five of my transparencies that I have
printed, I have to get a contrast mask. I always get a test strip before
the final print and evaluate the color balance and contrast. From this I
can adjust the color balance and request a mask if I think it will help.
They only make free test strips for 11x14 and larger prints.

Over the past couple of weeks, twice I have reduced the print size from
16x20 to 11x14 based upon the look of the test strip. Both of these were
because the 16x20 was being made from a cropped 35mm frame and it did not
hold up going that large from a partial frame.

If you would like to try a print, I would be happy to help you. You can
reach me at work at 650-965-6323 or at home at 408-247-0312.

Calypso is at  www.calypsoinc.com

Jim