Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Cosina new lenses
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:24:41 -0700

At 09:54 PM 5/23/99 -0400, you wrote:

>> If I had both an Cosina 75/2.4 and a Summilux 75/1.4, which would I use?
>>
>> It will be a cold day in hell before I would lay an image on film through
>> any 75mm lens other than the  75/1.4 Summilux. This lens is simply the
>> epitome of Leica.
>>
>> Jim
>
>    I have a feeling that the main advantage is that the Cosina lenses will
>probobly be at least a $1000 bucks less than a new 75 summilux, and probobly
>$500 less than a used 75 summilux... Dem's a lot clams...
>
>Isaac

I can certainly understand the dollar angle. Been there many times. But if
you look at the folks that are clambering after these lesser lenses, they
don't fit your mold. As I said before, if this is what you really like to
do, that is indeed what you should be doing. And I fault nobody for doing
it. I was simply stating my own point of view. I like the results of
photography a little more than I like fiddling with the equipment.

I like the direction Leica chose when they started making lenses. I like
their unique imaging qualities. I like the bold, sharp, full dynamic range
I get with the 24 & 35 ASPH lenses. I also like the subtleties of the old
hand computed Summicrons and Summiluxs. Especially the 75/1.4 . As JL Adams
implied, there is something about a Leica image that sets it apart from
other images.

We've discussed "Leica Glow" and "Bokeh". I believe the "ethereal"
qualities of Leica images are much deeper than what simply meets the eye. I
believe good Leica images have a feeling. They have music. This is why "I
like using Leica lenses," All others need not apply.

Jim