Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cosina new lenses
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:57:29 -0400

JIm-
There is no argument, but then you are a professional, and as they are wont
to say, " Kids, don't try this at home...." Actually, I understand that this
group is a weird mix of those who are pros, demanding the absolute best in
all their lenses. Then there are the us happy few who are happy to have a
couple of real Leica lenses, but who cannot afford to spend a lot on lenses
that are not used for a majority of photos- I have several 50mm Leitz lenses
for my LTM... Summar, Summitar, Elmar, Summicron, but I also have a Nikkor
50/1.4- the poor man's Summilux for the occasional time when I need that
extra 'OOMPH' of light gathering.
I cannot even think about getting a 21mm Leica lens- Spherical or otherwise;
too costly for the few times I'd use it, but, a reasonably priced Russar or
Kobalux seems a good trade off- I know they would not shine in Erwin's test
lab, and you, as an expert, could probably see the difference in the images
immediately, but for the few times a superwide is required for my stuff, I
would have to settle on something less dear!
I don't feel too awkward advancing this notion- there are a lot of us out
there, just waiting to get the cast-off, used, old lenses, when you pros get
the very latest lens- but even then, sometimes the demand makes even the
'cast-offs' a bit expensive....
I think too that the Cosina foray into the LTM world answered a need- there
are very few cameras for the novice who is truly interested in using the
camera- not the other way around. Call it a return to basics, but these
people will eventually, if the fires of passions catch, start to ask the
inevitable question- "Is there something better?"
Of course, the answer is, "Yes!"-
Dan