Subject: Re: [Leica]Brown bottles; NORWEGIAN
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:34:40 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >>My 5 liters went into 5 brown glass laboratory bottles which add a new
> >> snip make sure my time is right and the developer hasn't croaked in
> >>the night.
> >>Mark Rabiner
>
> snip instead I got one 500cc and two 250 cc
> bottles. Any opened liter bottle gets filled into smaller bottles at once.
> That way I never have any bottle with air and developer
>
> If you need small bottles there is this guy from Norway who has a few to
> sell (he wrote on the b&w darkroom forum). He fills his Xtol in (nominal)
> 125 cc bottles which take exactly the 140 cc he needs to make his 1+1
>snip now stuck with 65 surplus
> 125 cc bottles.
snip
> --
> christer almqvist
snip

Yes!! this idea of the practicality of smaller bottles has got me
thinking. But the thought of having 35 brown NORWEGIAN Xtol bottles in
the fridge wold be too much for my wife who is Swedish. Last night we
ate some Norwegian ski Queen Gjetost Cheese which we thought was pretty
exotic. Looks like modeling clay, tastes great. I have cases of smaller
brown bottles hidden deep in my catacombs from people in a studio I
bought out who were into gum bichromate. Right next to cases of old
flashbulbs nodoubt. My initial forays into the Xtol world are in 1:2
dilution so I would need 333.33 mil.bottles per liter tank. Not what's
in my basement is my guess. But who knows those Norwegians might have
some! Get's me wistful about oneshot Rodinal.
Another option is mixing my own up from scratch from the substitute
formulas in the new you know what book. (Anchell/Troop). They keep
better cold?! And it is time I graduate to better graduates. My
Patterson ones break are chipped and are easily broken. Glass is better.
Some day stainless steel trays!
Mark Rabiner