Subject: Re: [Leica] Xtol (not so) long
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:40:50 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

>  Gruppe-
> I've have yet to try Xtol... call me a fuddy-duddy, but I am still satisfied
> with Rodinal and D76 at present. In much of the discussion about Xtol,
> however, I have noticed a lot of concern for the longevity of the mixed
> developer. My friend Bob uses it exclusively, and I had asked if he had
> approached Kodak about the possibility of packaging the developer in small
> individual packets like those that hold sugar and artificial sweetener. It
> would be nice to buy a box of a dozen or so packets, each making a small
> quantity- like a pint (500ml) for one shot use, sort of like Rodinal. I have
> not heard if it is hard to mix, or if hot water is required, but even if one
> had to wait or mix it the night before use, it would be re-assuring to have
> a fresh mix for each use/session.
> Dan

Kodak's claims and others have verified that the stuff will keep I think
a year in glass bottles with no air. That it keeps better than most
developers, better than the D76 we are both very used to.
They had some problems with a few bad batches. I went into it thinking
it would be viable and work out. I think it will keep fine. It will give
me almost the sharpness of Rodinal with better grain than D76 1:1 and
that it has amazing speed advantages, that it gives a real speed boost.
It is the first developer which Kodak has claimed a real speed boost
with. Slow films can be rated at medium speeds, medium films at fast
speeds, fast films at ultrafast speeds.
So as far as why fix it if aint broke; I can use every kick in the pants
I can get and am in the mood to experiment.
It interestingly mixes in lukewarm water.
Mark Rabiner