Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cosina new lenses
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:29:43 -0600

Jim, until you try a Cosina-made Voightlander, how do you know you'll like
it less than your Leica gear? Refer to Green Eggs and Ham, by Doctor Suess
:-)

I plan to purchase a 15 mm Voightlander Heliar lens sometime this summer;
I've never owned a Cosina product before, and if I really like the Heliar, I
may buy some of their other products, too. Telescope test reports, I read
with somewhat more interest than camera lens tests, because in astronomy, we
really are using the optics "wide open", and viewing pinpoints of light at
infinity!

I think that many sellers of high-end products tend to have a little P.T.
Barnum running through their veins, and that's where it helps to be a
skeptical hardass, and not be disuaded from doing your own reality-checking.
Sitting before me, I have a magnificent 1:20.5 scale model of a Shay
locomotive, produced, I think, in Guangzhou, China, and selling for some
silly giveaway price of around $500. Silly, because it's amazingly good, and
it's nearest competition is $6,000. This, from a company whose products I
vowed, 20 years ago, never to buy again! My, how times have changed.

Jeff