Subject: [Leica] My new IIIf
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:02:22 +0200

My new IIIf just arrived from the Leica Shop in Vienna, along with a 3.5
Elmar. Unfortunately, I still have not gotten hold of a manual, so
perhaps some of you can help me. As I look and handle the camera, I have
several stupid questions, and I am afraid to experiment lest I damage
this 50-year old jewel.

1) The lens is already mounted on the camera. If I grab it by the ribbed
front element, I can rotate it freely--is this normal? There is also a
bit of play in the lens, i.e. I can move it sideways and up & down ever
so slightly--again, is this normal?

2) To collapse it, I can simply push it in. I am assuming that the lens
should be in the infinity position when I do that, is this correct?

3) How do I take the lens off? Do I simply turn it and if so, is it
clockwise or counterclockwise? And does the lens have to be collapsed or
extended when mounting/dismounting?

4) I have no idea how to change shutter speed. I can figure out the slow
speeds, but how do I set one of the faster speeds? The fast shutter dial
is in the 25-1 position. When I cock the shutter, it will not move from
that position. When the shutter is uncocked, the fast dial is somewhere
between 1000 and B, and turning it has no effect--it simply springs back
to its position.

5) Finally, how do I reset the film counter to 0 after loading a film?
Is it done automatically like on the M series, or is there something
that has to be done manually?

I am hunting around for the Hove manual reprint, but in the meantime I
would really appreciate some answers from the screw-mount users here.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman