Subject: [Leica] Re: My new IIIf
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

>1) The lens is already mounted on the camera. If I grab it by the ribbed
>front element, I can rotate it freely--is this normal? There is also a
>bit of play in the lens, i.e. I can move it sideways and up & down ever
>so slightly--again, is this normal?

It sounds as though the lens is not locked into position. Pull it all the
way out and turn the front. It should "lock" with about a quarter turn and
be rock solid.

>2) To collapse it, I can simply push it in. I am assuming that the lens
>should be in the infinity position when I do that, is this correct?

If locked out as above you should turn the lens front in the opposite
direction from above to "unlock" it, then push it in.

>3) How do I take the lens off? Do I simply turn it and if so, is it
>clockwise or counterclockwise? And does the lens have to be collapsed or
>extended when mounting/dismounting?

Just turn it, collapsed or extended does not matter.

>4) I have no idea how to change shutter speed. I can figure out the slow
>speeds, but how do I set one of the faster speeds? The fast shutter dial
>is in the 25-1 position. When I cock the shutter, it will not move from
>that position. When the shutter is uncocked, the fast dial is somewhere
>between 1000 and B, and turning it has no effect--it simply springs back
>to its position.

The fast spped dial needs to be lifted then turned. The crrect speed is
indicated only when the shutter is set.

>5) Finally, how do I reset the film counter to 0 after loading a film?
>Is it done automatically like on the M series, or is there something
>that has to be done manually?

Just push it around to "1" adter loading and firing off the blanks.

>Thanks in advance!

You're welcome!

Ken Wilcox

- ----