Subject: Re: [Leica] News from Belgrade
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:48:38 -0400

At 10:34 PM 5/25/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Tina,
>
>Sorry for this late reaction, just no time to check the LUG.
>
>I very much share and appreciate your concern about Vladan.
>
>At the same time I am extremely disappointed by the total lack of reaction
>of the LUG, lets forget about Pascal's reaction, he must to close to the
>NATO buildings in  Brussels to think clearly.
>
>Luggers(like all the other victims) remain also humans! Even when their
>presidents behave like irresponsible jerks.
>
>I feel very sorry for the group.
>
>Ciao
>
>Andreas

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your response.  I wondered at first if my e-mail got through
and then I decided that everybody must be thinking and not writing which is
fine with me!  My posting was not a call to take sides.  We can empathize
with those forced to flee their homes and those who are being bombed
without judging who is right or wrong.  Vladan said that he had been
mobilized.  I don't think he had any choice.  He also says
that the only news he receives is very biased.  When I visited Iraq, the
people had no idea that Saddam Hussein was keeping medicines from them that
the UN Sanctions allowed and blaming the UN for the children who died
without the medicines.  E-mail and satellite dishes are still banned in
Iraq but their use in other countries can be a powerful force against
dictators who would keep the truth from the people.  Communication has to
be a powerful weapon.  I was amazed that I could receive e-mail from
someone that my country is bombing.  Vladan has taken his mobile phone with
him.  I haven't been able to get through yet, but if anyone is interested
in trying to call him, I will give you his number.  Send me private e-mail.
  When I e-mailed Vladan, I told him that I would tell you all that he was
o.k. and that the LUG is a very caring group.  (I know, that's too
"touchy-feely" for most of you males, but I also know that it is true!)
I'm glad I have at least one response which I hope is the tip of the LUG
iceberg!

To keep this on topic, if I were in Belgrade, I would not use a UV filter
to protect my Leica lenses.

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP