Subject: RE: [Leica] rangefinder flare: a possible solution
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 20:32:42 -0400

BD, Jim Laurel et al.: While I do not want to publicize this in the New York
Times or in Pop Photo, Leica in Northvale can do some magic on the M6 0.72.
Essentially, if you exactly center your eye using the M6, the rangefinder
works well; on the other  hand, if you move your eye, the flare  against a
bright light source makes the rangefinder inoperable. This is  a M6 design
flaw which may have been corrected in the M6 0.85. Typically, you can move
you eye any way you like with a M5 or M4 and the focusing is perfect.
In late April, I took my M6 still under passport warranty to Northvale and
complained to the customer service rep. Within three weeks, the camera was
returned to me without any tape or paint or any "handyman special"  patch in
good condition, performing with respect to focusing as any M camera with a
45+ year pedigree should. I have no idea whether the rangefinder mechanism
was replaced or only corrected. But under passport protection Leica in NJ
did an outstanding job. How much this serrvice costs if you are out of
warranty I don't know.

Regards, Andrew Jordan