Subject: [Leica] Re: "demos"
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:56:37 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com,

I'm somewhat curious. Why do you continue to stay on the Leica list? Why do
you use Leica equipment (I guess I'm assuming a lot)?

A piece of "demo" equipment is not automatically "damaged" goods ,and if it
happens to be actually damaged, it will be replaced under warranty.

How does anyone know if the "used" equipment they just bought from a
LUGger, Shutterbug advertisers, or in a store, didn't originate on the
market as a demo? You don't and you shouldn't care. Unless you just like to
whine all of the time about everything.

I personally believe that this whole demo fracas is being completely and
totally blown out of proportion. I know for a fact that quite often,
absolutely brand new, never opened, never used equipment, is sold as demo.
The label allows it to be discounted further and keeps the accounting
straight. I have purchased some of this equipment and it comes with full
passport, because it is new. It's just labeled "demo" to juggle the books.

So passing up a "demo" sale, sometimes, is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Jim