Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B & W Filters
From: "Wilhelm L. von Ohlen-Larsen" <vonohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 21:38:19 -0700

Horst writes as a response to Ed:

Ed:>>
>> I switched from Yellow to Green on that basis...and noticed a remarkable
>> improvement in the tones of my own photos.
>>
>> Just thought I'd add my two-cents worth here....
>> ED.
Horst replies:
>Thanks for the hint, I will try the green filter, or at least start of with
>a yellow-green.

EXCUSE ME:  This discussions about as silly as the one regarding whether one
should use a UV filter or not.  In B&W you only use a filter for a specific
purpose, such as to avoid an extraordinary amount of dodging and burning
and/or to separate gray tones that would otherwise be equal or nearly so.

You might want to buy a Kodak book on the use of filters or at the very least
look at www.bandh.com 's section on the use of filters and what they do.

I use filters about 5 percent of the time.  The only complete set that I have
is for 39mm.  Often I will change to the older lenses in order to use the
appropriate filter.

You might want to do a little more research before using filters as a matter
of course.

Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net