Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Camera Bags
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 12:48:56 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I also thought I have heard here on the lug about the popularity and
> convenience let alone the functionality of "Coolers." Plastic containers
> designed to keep food cold with the handle. That way when you watch your
> car bake in the High noon sun with your cameras/film in it as you sit in
> the Dairy Queen never taking your eye off the car you know your
> cameras/film are not being baked into oblivion. And they look innocuous!

Mark so smart:

The big gun yachting photographers in the racing circuit use just such,
ones big enough to hold a 600 f/4 plus other stuff.  Waterproof on
bottom, cool, get one with wheels and handle. slick.  I think it was
Carlo Berlinghi, of See and Sea, a stock agency he owns in Italy, who
first pioneered the idea, and then others followed suit--Guy Gerney,
Franco Pace, Daniel Forster, Sharon Green, Kaoru Soehata.  I've shared
boats with these people.  Pace (PA-che) does boats like H C-B does
people.  Shoots little, just zip, zip of the Canon here and there.
Knows when and where.  The others shoot like someone else paying film
bill (there is).  Pace, too, is gentleman, but living in VW van for 20
years following boats around Europe until he started making enough to
live on.  Published a book 5 years ago selling for $150 and worth it.
Just did an other book on boats designed by Scottish designer Fife in
first half of the century.  Knockout beautiful (even if not shot on
Leica!)

Here endeth the detour.

donal
- --