Subject: Re: [Leica] C41 processing on Jobo
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:10:03 -0400

Nathan-
The reason for the gradual change, as I was told lo these thirty years ago,
was to minimize 'reticulation' of the emulsion. I like you wash my film in
ambient temperature tap water, and to be honest, the last film I had
reticulation with was ektachrome, in an E4 process. It was so long ago I
cannot for the life of me remember exactly when!
I had for years thought that the improved films might mean improved
safeguards against reticulation! I looked into the manual for the Fuji 562B
we use for doing C-41. The process actually does not use a water rinse!
Three successive stabilizer washes. The last tank is the only one
replenished, and it overflows into the first rinse tank, with the second
having it's own replenisher supply, it also overflows into the first rinse
tank. The book shows a rather wide acceptable temperature range of 78.9 C +
or - 3C. The only really critical temp is the developer that is 78.9C plus
or minus .3C
I would say that if you rinse in three successively clean changes of water,
then stabilizer, all at ambient temp, and you get no reticulation, then you
are safe with that procedure. The Chromogenic films are handled in our lab
exactly like the color, in fact I have run both on the same leader card,
side by side, with absolutely no problem. Of all the new chromogenic films,
the new Black and Whate + Select from Kodak is the absolute best for
printing on color paper, and getting good blacks and white.
The Ilford makes a negative that looks like a B&W negative, no masking, and
while it is a bear to print on color paper, it looks good on Ilford
Multigrade!
Treat the chromogenic film exactly like you would any other C-41 when you
develop it as the image is dye based and you need the stabilizer - I think
it acts as a mordant for the dye, making it stable against dark fading and
oxidation bleaching.
Dan