Subject: Re: [Leica] New M-6 Version - now official
From: Javier <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 21:18:43 -0400

The idea has merit.
I for one would like to be able to open up an m conventionally.
Think about it, would any one of us put up with the M loading scheme
from anyone other than father Leitz. Batteries and aperture preferred
+manual exposure would be fab. I just hope they don't ruin the Rangefinder
with an autofocus only type scheme unless it comes available as part of a 3
model range system: That's to say, manual only/meter,  manual+auto/meter
and manual+auto/meter +AF. My only worry is that with it's R&D umbilical cord
cut off they just might not be able to compete with Contax or anyone else for
that matter.  It would be real neat to see this brand as an industry leader
again rather than a curiosity with a loyal cult following even if it means going
mass market as long as a super performance pro line remains. Hey, how about a
post m series with built in motor and interchangeable backs!!!!! Yeah! Talk
about professional. Only Contarex could compete, and there aren't any left
See Ya
Javier

PS: nicely textured thick rubber is great too. It looks good and protects the
body far better than leatherrettes. Wraparound is even better. Ever dropped an M
on the advance side? Warps the chassis right away. You have to go in and  un
bend the thing assuming you don't crack it!